After Using The Pill
After You Take Mifepristone:
- Some women have light bleeding after taking mifepristone. Others don't. Both are normal.
After You Take Misoprostol:
- Cramping and bleeding are the main effects. These symptoms are useful because they show the medicines are working. But how much cramping and bleeding will you have?
- For some women, cramping is very strong —much more painful than menstrual cramps (if you have menstrual cramps).
- For some women, bleeding is heavier than a normal menstrual period. It is also common to pass blood clots in the first few hours after taking misoprostol. The size of the clots will vary depending on how far along the pregnancy was.
- For other women, cramping is mild and bleeding is like a normal menstrual period.
- Do not be alarmed if you have more bleeding and cramping than a regular period
- If you experience bad cramping ibuprofen is a good medicine to cope with pain. You can buy ibuprofen 200 mg strength over the counter (without a prescription) in most countries. Take 3-4 pills (200 mg) every 6-8 hours. This should make your pain better.
- You can drink and eat as you like.
- Try to stay in a comfortable place until you feel better.
- Most women feel better in less than 24 hours.
Note: Two weeks after your abortion, a pregnancy test will still be positive due to lingering hormones in your body. If you continue to feel pregnancy symptoms (have breast tenderness, nausea, fatigue, etc.) after using the pills, visit a doctor.
While passing a pregnancy, the above symptoms are normal. Be alert. Below are some signs that you may be at risk for a complication.
- Heavy bleeding amount. If you soak 2 regular pads per hour for 2 hours in a row after you think you have passed the pregnancy, this is very heavy bleeding. You should seek medical help if you bleed this much. Soaking means that the pad is completely soaked through with blood, front-to-back, side-to-side, and through-and-through.
- Intense pain. If you have extreme pain that does not get better even after you take the ibuprofen, seek medical help. This kind of extreme pain may mean that you could have a complication related to your pregnancy. Unresolved pain that is not relieved by ibuprofen can be a danger sign. We suggest any pregnant woman suffering pain seek medical care.
- Feeling very sick. You may have a fever, nausea and vomiting the day you take misoprostol. This is normal. You should feel better and better each day after using abortion pills. You should not feel sick. If you feel more sick any day after you use misoprostol, you should seek medical attention.
- “First trimester abortion guidelines and protocols – Surgical and medical procedures.”International Planned Parenthood Federation. https://www.ippf.org/sites/default/files/abortion_guidelines_and_protocol_english.pdf
- “Safe abortion: technical and policy guidance for health systems.” The World Health Organization. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/70914/?sequence=1