Abortion Laws by Country
Abortion Laws in Cambodia
Is abortion legal in Cambodia?
Abortion services are legal in Cambodia and are usually done during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. However, there are a few cases that allow for an abortion to be conducted after 12 weeks. In order for an abortion service be provided after the 12th week, the case must fall under at least one of the following circumstances:
- The pregnancy is developing abnormally thus risking the woman’s life.
- The child, after birth, is at risk of a serious and incurable disease.
- The pregnancy is a result of rape.
What are the different abortion services available in Cambodia?
- Surgical Abortion such as Manual Vacuum Aspiration is the most common method utilized
- Medical Abortion by pill (Misoprostol, Mifepristone)
Who can perform abortions in Cambodia?
Abortion services in Cambodia may only be performed by secondary midwives and trained doctors. Moreover, the abortion may only performed by the said providers after obtaining the consent of the woman.
Where can I go for an abortion service in Cambodia?
- Women may seek abortion services from private hospitals and clinics and public health facilities such as community health centers.
Clinics in Phnom Penh:
- Naga Clinic
- Khema Clinic
- Calmette Hospital
What is the cost of a safe abortion in Cambodia?
- A medical abortion (8 or 9 weeks) can cost about 40-60 US Dollars.
- Abortion by aspiration and sedation costs around 250 - 450 US Dollars.
What are the legal and safe drugs available in Cambodia?
- Mifepristone + Misoprostol (Medabon & Mariprist)
*Note: Both drugs were widely available for purchase at pharmacies in Cambodia though a doctor’s prescription may be required.
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Cambodia?
- Marie Stopes Cambodia: Health services and resources
Tel: +855 023 994 083
Emails: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fertility Clinic of Cambodia: Health services and resources
Tel: (+855)12 55 23 30, 23 2222 95
- The Reproductive Health Association of Cambodia (RHAC): Health services and resources
Tel: 077 995 394
- Cambodia Women’s Crisis Center (CWCC): Women’s organization that advocates for the human rights of women and children.
Phnom Penh Office: (855-23) 987158
Banteay Meanchey Office: (855-54) 967 144
Siem Reap Office: (855-63) 963 276
Kampong Thom Office: (855-62) 210 515
- Women’s Resource Center: Drop-in information, counseling, and resource center
Tel: +855 (0)92 373 693
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here?
Contact us at: email@example.com