Abortion Laws by Country
Abortion Laws in Indonesia
Is abortion legal in Indonesia?
Abortion is legally restricted in Indonesia. However, there are exceptions depending on specific circumstances according to the Government Regulation No. 61 passed in 2014 supported by the Ministry of Health’s regulation No. 3 passed in 2016:
What are the different abortion services available in Indonesia?
If the specific circumstances according to Indonesian law are met, the services available are:
- Medical Abortion (MA) by pill (Misoprostol, Mifepristone)
- Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)
- Dilation and Evacuation (D&E)
Who can perform abortions in Indonesia?
Only obstetrician-gynecologists and medical doctors can perform abortions.
Where can I go for abortion services in Indonesia?
Abortion services are provided in public hospitals in Indonesia provided the circumstances stated above are met.
What is the cost of an abortion in Indonesia?
The Asia Safe Abortion Partnership (ASAP) country profile on Indonesia states that services in the public hospitals range from Rs. 300,000 to Rs. 2,000,000 (approx. 30 to 200 USD).
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Indonesia?
Under the current laws in Indonesia, MA pills are legally restricted. However, misoprostol is available in the Indonesian market.
- Samsara Indonesia: +62813-2717-1188, +62857-2900-1188, +62878-3977-0033, +62896-7467-7433 (Monday to Friday 10 AM to 6 PM)
- Ask Inna
- Gynopedia Indonesia
- Asia Safe Abortion Partnership
- Global Abortion Policies Database for Indonesia
- Indonesian Planned Parenthood Association
Telephone: +62(21) 720 7372; (21) 739 4123; (21) 724 5905
- Safe Abortion helpline: 0878 3955 5100; 0857 2929 5100; 0853 2521 1100
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here?
Contact us at: email@example.com