Abortion Laws by Country
Abortion Laws in Côte d’Ivoire
Abortion and attempted abortion are illegal in Côte d’Ivoire according to Articles 425 and 426 of the new Penal Code of 2019. However, abortion does not constitute an offense in two situations: rape and when pregnancy poses a danger to the patient (Article 427).
The Penal Code also prohibits any incitement of abortion through public discussion, advertisement, or the sale of various substances and products.
Is abortion legal in Côte d’Ivoire?
Abortion is legal in Côte d’Ivoire if it’s done to save the life of the woman. In addition, three physicians need to certify that the life of the women can only be saved with an abortion.
It should be noted that Post-Abortion Care (PAC) services are legal, though implementation and access remains mired by challenges.
What are the different abortion services available in Côte d'Ivoire?
Côte d'Ivoire offers medical and surgical abortion services.
For a Medical Abortion (MA), only MisoFem or Mifegyne remain available in pharmacies. Cytotec was withdrawn from pharmacies in 2017.³
- An MA, in pill form, is allowed for pregnancies up to 12 weeks maximum.
The surgical procedure available is a Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA), preceded by dilation of the cervix.
- MVA is allowed for pregnancies up to 12 weeks maximum.
Who can perform legal abortions in Côte d’Ivoire?
Legal abortion services can be performed either by a gynecologist, gynecologist-surgeon, or general practitioner; however, the process is costly. In addition, religious, social, and provider stigma deter many women from seeking out these services.
Where can I go for legal abortion services in Côte d’Ivoire?
Safe and legal abortions can be performed in Côte d’Ivoire at registered public and private health facilities.
Note: Please try to ensure your chosen provider is registered and trained to perform an abortion.
What is the cost of abortion services in Côte d’Ivoire?
The price of an abortion in Côte d’Ivoire depends on the type of abortion as well as the provider. A surgical abortion procedure can cost between 150,000 F CFA -200,000 F CFA. However, some health clinics charge as much as 300,000 F CFA and 350,000 F CFA , depending on the additional services available. In public health institutions, an authorized abortion is free.
The pill pack of four MisoFem pills can cost between 1,010 F CFA and 2,000 F CFA.
Which abortion pills are available in Côte d’Ivoire?
The government has included Misoprostol on the list of essential medicines that can be used for delivery or to evacuate abortion remains. Though not registered for abortion, Misoprostol is commonly used to induce an abortion.
- Misoprostol is available under the brand name MisoFem.
- Mifepristone is available under the brand name Mifegyne.
Where can I buy abortion pills in Côte d’Ivoire?
MisoFem and Mifegyne can be purchased from pharmacies in Côte d'Ivoire; however, an accompanying prescription may be required. Prices will vary between pharmacies.
Note: Many pharmacists do sell the pills without a prescription, however they do not often provide proper instructions on eligibility, dosage, and usage for a medical abortion. Please refer to the following page on our website for comprehensive instructions on how to use the abortion pill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/howto/.
What do abortion pills look like in Côte d’Ivoire?
The most common brand name for abortion pills in Côte d’Ivoire is MisoFem.
This is what the MisoFem abortion pill looks like:
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Côte d’Ivoire?
- L'association des Sage-femmes Ivoiriennes
Tel: +225 24000208
Soutien 24/7: +225 01010101
Address: SOUTRA VISION Immeuble, Plateau, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
- Association de Soutien à l'Autopromotion Sanitaire et Urbaine
Tel: +225 22 47 35 02
Address: Boulevard François Mitterrand, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
- Association Ivoirienne pour le Bien-Etre Familial (AIBEF)
Tel: +225 21 21 80 80
Address: Boulevard Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
- Lydia Call Center
WhatsApp Numbers: +221 78 193 93 93 / +221 78 312 26 26
Telephone Number: 800 800 96 (Free number)
- Unis pour Sauver des Vies (USV)
Tel: +225 89 92 52 83
- Societe de Gynecologie et d’Obstetrique de Côte d’Ivoire
Tel: +225 07 85 11 24
Was this useful? What else would you like to see here?
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1. “Country Report: Ivory Coast.” Needs Assessment on Safe Abortion Advocacy. Royal Tropical Institute, Society of Gynaecology and Obstetrics Of Ivory Coast (SOGOCI), https://www.figo.org/sites/default/files/uploads/Ivory%20Coast%20Country%20Report_%20English%20translation.pdf. Accessed 17 August 2020.
- 2. “PMA2020 Abortion Survey Results: Côte D’Ivoire.” 2018, https://www.pma2020.org/sites/default/files/Cote%20d%E2%80%99Ivoire_AbortionModule_Brief_EN_012019.pdf.. Accessed 17 August 2020.
- 3. “Retrait du Cytotec.” Ministère de la Santé et de l’Hygiène Publique, 2017, Côte d’Ivoire, http://www.pndap-ci.org/scoop/retrait-du-cytotec/. Accessed 17 August 2020.